Friday, December 16, 2011

dancing in the kitchen

It was about 4 o'clock in the afternoon. That time of day when we are all starting to go a little stir crazy, especially during the winter. My house was a wreck and there were gerber puffs all over my kitchen floor. I was still in my pajamas. Lily was still in her hand-me-down jammies with a hole in the foot and her big toe peeking out of it. Halle was still in her leotard and tights from ballet class that morning sitting in our big blue chair. We were listening to Christmas music (the she and him holiday station on pandora, my absolute favorite.) Lily was chewing on my hoodie string and smiling as I bounced and twirled her around the kitchen. If you were to look in through my kitchen window at that moment you probably would have seen a tired and grungy looking mom, a baby on the hip, dirty dishes, a messy floor, toys everywhere and you would also see just how incredibly happy I was dancing with my baby in the middle of it all. Always a lovely reminder to slow down and enjoy the beauty and happiness that is right in front of me.

1 comment: