Tuesday, March 13, 2012

a night out

Last night Wes and I called our best baby sitter Grandma and went out.
Just the two of us, all dressed up, and out for a nice steak dinner downtown.
We had so much fun.
And it was the first time I have ever ordered a steak.
I was pleasantly surprised.
Of course, cancer was a hot topic at the dinner table.
It's hard not to talk about cancer these days.
It's always there in the back of our minds now.
And honestly, I can't help but feel grateful for what it has done for our relationship and what it can do to us if we faithfully unite to beat this.
I've always thought people who are grateful for trials are crazy.
But here I am saying it and we've only just begun.
I am sure there are many hard days ahead full of different emotions.
Sadness, anger, worry, and fear to name a few.
But today we are feeling grateful.
Grateful to have an opportunity to treasure each other and see each other differently then we have in the past.
We have always been super close.
Best friends, turned lovers, turned husband and wife.
I did not think it was possible for us to get closer.
But in the days since his diagnosis we have come closer in different ways I didn't know possible.
Both of us feel so blessed to be able to go through this together.
To seal our marriage this way.
To walk through fire together and come out on the other end having forged a bond that you can't get any other way.
It is a bond that can only come when you truly have to walk through dark places together, whatever that trial may be and be there for each other.
Wes has always been my cheerleader.
Through school, pregnancies, births, sleepless nights, disappointments, you name it.
I have always felt like I have had to rely on him for strength.
Now it is my turn to be the cheerleader and the care giver.
He has given me a wonderful example to follow.
I hope every day that I can be enough for him as he was always enough for me.

6 comments:

Rachel said...

that was beautiful :) now i'm all teary eyed! i also think people who say "they're grateful for trials" are crazy. i'm waiting to feel that way :)

Emily said...

I love this post. You will be an incredible cheerleader for Wes. I know you already are.

And I agree with you. Trials do bring you so much closer together. Which I love. Heavenly Father certainly knows what we need to make us even better in the eternities. And I know you and Wes will come out even stronger, closer, and more amazing than you already are! :) Thinking of you!

Call Commotion said...

Beautiful words and outlook! You are an amazing woman!

Megan said...

Such a beautiful post... Thanks for expressing all those wonderful things and giving me something to think about. :)

Michele Ashman Bell said...

Megan, I just can't even tell you how much I love you. That is a beautiful post and touched my heart deeply.

Christy said...

you are so right. loved the post and your insights. isn't it ironic that we pray for growth, but at the same time hope to avoid trials? it seems the two must go hand in hand. thanks for your thoughts, megan!