Thursday, April 12, 2012

baby steps

I actually saw dust on my dinner table yesterday.
That means mommy and daddy have been gone for too long.
And we have not been a fully functioning household for way too long.
This second stay in the hospital is creeping up on two weeks now.
I thought he would recover quick and his pancreas would get better once they took everything out of his bowels.
Wrong.
But the cup of powerade they finally let him have after one long week of eating and drinking nothing was pure manna from heaven.
The nausea was still going strong and he was on the verge of vomiting for days and his pancreatitis numbers kept going up and up.
He was losing so much weight.
He bottomed out having lost 31 pounds.
31 pounds in 3 weeks.
Have you seen my husband? He does not have 31 pounds to lose.
They put him on a feeding tube while his bowels continued to rest.
It was getting incredibly hard to be patient and wait for his pancreas when my family felt so torn apart.
We couldn't even celebrate Lily's birthday together.
It was hard to watch Wes literally wither away in a hospital bed.
It was hard to keep coming up with encouraging words day after day.
I have never wished I could be two places at once more then I did last week.
Yesterday they put Wes on a full liquid diet.
Cream of wheat and creamed clam chowder were on the menu.
And the day passed with no nausea.
Dr. Kim came in that night and said if he keeps everything down and feels well he could possibly go home soon on a low fat diet.
All I could say was "whaaaaaaaat!?"
No one had even mentioned going home for the longest time.
Here's hoping for good things to come.
Baby steps, my friends, baby steps.

9 comments:

The Winkels said...

Oh my word Meg! I am glad that there is a little bit of good news (can we call it that) today...but I'm so sorry for what a rotten time you all have had! Praying for you daily!

Whitney said...

Must have been the longest 2 weeks of your lives! Sorry it has been so drawn out and so stressful but glad (as always) for any piece of good news. Still praying! Love you guys!

Carrie said...

YEAY!!! this makes me so happy! love you!

Pam from Over the Big Moon said...

Such great news! Prayers still headed your way!

Austin said...

Love you guys so much and can't wait to get back and see you.

Valerie Chandler said...

So glad to read this update and I feel thankful for the little things like cream of wheat keeping the tummy happier. Love you all.

Emily said...

Oh Megan I sure hope so! I sure hope he can come home SOON! I feel so, so sad this is happening to you and Wes!

Susan Bell said...

Sarah fasted for Wes again yesterday. We pray for Wes every day and we know the Lord is aware of you and weeps with you on the hard days and rejoices with you when you get good news. We love you!

Christy said...

31 pounds? that is crazy! i am so glad things are looking up. thanks for sharing all your news. we are always wondering how things are going. love you guys!