Thursday, August 23, 2012

bell family olympics

 Halle is at a fun age where most anything can be turned into some kind of interesting activity for her.  The summer olympics were a perfect opportunity to plan a fun day for her.  She didn't know much about them so I explained them a bit and then we got to work.  We painted an olympic ring sign, colored our own american to flag to wave at the bell olympics, and decorated red white and blue cookies for an american treat to eat during the opening ceremonies.  After dinner we set up a marathon course around the neighborhood.  We took the olympic torch down to the starting line with the olympic theme song playing the whole way and Halle prepared to run by getting in the blocks (she was just going off the video of track and field that I showed her).  
We shot off a gun and she was off.  The first leg of her race was running.  
This girl is fast and has better form then I did when I ran cross country. 
The second leg was biking.  
She followed the arrows around the neighborhood until she reached the hurtles (which were really just buckets she had to leap over).  
She ran through the finish line and won the gold medal for team USA.  
Her adoring fan Lily was there waving the flag and cheering her on.  
She wanted to race again and again until it was time for the London opening ceremony and treats.  I love creating a little magic for children, it was one of my most favorite things about teaching and doing it for my own little ones is even better.  
Sure do love these sweethearts.

4 comments:

Sarah said...

Um fabulous idea!! Now I have to wait 4 years to use it. Scratch that - I'll make up a different reason to do this.

Christy said...

what a fun idea! you are a great mom.

ok said...

K seriously, could you BE any more creative and fun?? I love this!!! And Halle clearly does too. Go you!

Sharla said...

I love how serious she took it too. You can see all her dedication in her facial expression as she crosses the finish line as a true hard working Olymipian. So fun!