Wednesday, October 17, 2012

hello, october

"i'm so glad i live in a world where there are octobers."
- anne shirley

I always knew anne and I were kindred spirits.
October brings so many things I love.  
The usual things like: cooler weather, pumpkins, little girls who delight in all the spooky things we can find at the store, pumpkin treats, beautiful leaves and sweaters.

But this October is extra special to me.
It means no more of this:
Next week is Wes's last treatment. 
It has been a long time coming.
 I don't think he can handle much more as this last treatment was particularly nasty with vomiting and dehydration.
He gets to ring a little bell they have there when he is all finished and everyone getting chemo that day will cheer for him.
Nice consolation prize for trashing his body eh?
Honestly, I can't think about it without crying.
Not even kidding.  every. single. time.
He can't either.
I mean we are literally driving in the car talking about how wonderful it will be to ring the bell and to be done with this chapter of our cancer journey and the next minute we are both blubbering and wiping our eyes.

I'm so glad I live in a world where there are octobers.
A world where horrible things and suffering eventually and finally come to an end.
Even when it seems like they will go on forever.
 October always comes with healing in it's wings.  

7 comments:

Megan said...

I love this. So very much. I am grateful for Octobers too... and I am so glad that you guys are SO CLOSE to being done with this horrible trial. Can't wait to hear about the bell ringing moment when it happens. :)

The Winkels said...

you ringing that bell makes me cry too. I sure love you dear dear people! Anne Shirley most definitely knew what she was talking about. Praying for you friend!

Whitney said...

I've always loved Anne with an e but I love you and your sweet family even more. So happy that his treatments are almost over so that you can all start healing. Can't wait to hear about the celebration!

Emily said...

I am so glad too! And I cannot wait to hear all about your and Wes' bell ringing! Can't come soon enough! You two are amazing!

Christy said...

oh, i'm SO so happy you're just about done. what an enormous relief, i am sure. enjoy it, bell ringing and all! :) (incidentally, i assumed the bell ringing was just a childhood cancer thing-- my niece did it-- but maybe everyone does?)

Michele Ashman Bell said...

Tears are always so close to the surface, but the fact that this chemo crap is ending is especially emotional. We will all be there for that bell ringing. I don't care if they have a rule that says we can't all be there. We aren't missing that moment for anything in the world. Words can't describe how amazed and proud we are of you two. Wes couldn't do this without you Megan. You are an inspiration and we thank Heavenly Father every day for you.

Becca said...

I'm so happy to hear that you two are at the end of Wes's Chemo treatments! How wonderful that you have made it to this point!!!!!