Sunday, February 3, 2013

busy, busy

It's busy season again.  Wes is back at work and working longer hours.  Goodness, the people he works with sure are great.  It has been a hard transition as he is slowly building his stamina back up and they have been so understanding.  I love seeing him slooooowly get healthier, but we sure miss having him around all the time.  One night, us three girls were almost to bed.  He came home and saw us for maybe ten minutes.  And in that short amount of time, he had us all giggling and feeling good about ourselves and drifting happily off to sleep.  He is sunshine.  Bless him for working so hard at so many things.

We've also been busy being sick.  Halle caught a nasty flu bug and passed it around to Lily and then me.  It hit hard and lingered.  Full blown body aches, high fevers, runny noses, and coughs.  Luckily, Wes was out of town for work, so he was far from our germ nest.  Halle mostly laid around with tired, sick eyes, saying nothing, a very rare thing for her.  While Lily, my emotional girl, was clingy and whiny and frustrated, and uncomfortable.  The way they deal with things is so different.  One night, Halle woke with a coughing fit.  I got up and rubbed some lotion on her chest and gave her a drink of water.  She sleepily said, "thanks for helping me feel better mom" and rolled over and went to sleep.  Never complained about anything once.  Lily was a different story.  I think Halle described it best when she said, "Maybe Lily is under an evil, wicked spell."  I felt terrible, and I felt even more terrible knowing their little bodies were feeling the same way.

I love February.  I love that I get to start my own traditions with this little family of mine.  I have been gathering ideas for Valentine's day.  It is one of my favorites.  Just another excuse to give my sweethearts a little extra love.  I think we have decided that each year on Valentine's day we will take our girls out for cupcakes.  It will end up being taking our girls out for blue frosting, because that's the only part Halle wants and Lily just does whatever Halle does.  Sweet Tooth Fairy has frosting shots.  Perfect.  I am also loving the idea of a Valentine's advent for Wes and I like the one I found here.  Writing each other love poems?  I can't even fathom the ridiculous things he would say.  He knows how to tickle my funny bone. I think I will get halle glow in the dark paints for a little love gift from mom and dad and some play food with a knife for lily, although we are in desperate need of some new playdoh, so that may be their surprise. 

I am behind, as usual.  I am always playing catch-up.  I have a stack of medical bills waiting to be paid, library books I checked out for myself sitting on my table unread, posts that need to be written (haven't even talked about Wes's surgery!), doctor and dentist appointments that need to be made for the girls, a few rooms that could use a good vacuum and dusting.  Yet each day I find myself choosing to be with my girls or Wes instead of these things that seem so important.  And although I feel I am constantly one step behind, life is so much more fulfilling this way.

No comments: