Wednesday, January 8, 2014

paris, france

We flew to Paris and I already knew I was going to love it because the airport was so clean and organized, much different than my experience in Rome.  We took a train to our hotel and listened very hard for our stop.

Wes decided to splurge on our hotel and found us something in the Latin Quarter.  It was the best decision ever.  We were a two minute walk from the metro station and a five minute walk from Notre Dame and the Seine River.  Since our time was so limited it was so nice to not have to worry about longer rides from a hotel on the outskirts that may have been cheaper.
The Latin Quarter is filled with amazing restaurants and is just coming alive as the sun sets.  It is a lively part of the city that I could have spent weeks exploring and trying all the different places to eat.
After we unloaded our luggage our first stop was Sainte Chapelle.  I had no idea what I was walking into, but we had been told it was a must see.  The outside is nothing really special.
And the first floor seems nice enough.
And then you climb up a set of stairs.  Wes was actually recording a video as we walked up the step and catches me gasping, "oh my gosh!" as I saw the wall to wall stained glass on the second floor.  I was completely unprepared for the beauty!  It was so incredible!
 Next we visited Notre Dame.  Such an incredible place.  Wes actually really fell in love with this building and wanted to see it from all angles and as the sun was setting and when it was all lit up.  We couldn't get enough of walking around and inside.
 We waited in line to climb the endless stairs to the top.  The view of Paris from Notre Dame is an amazing sight to behold.
 We climbed down and found a cozy little restaurant to eat in.  The French onion soup was of course top notch.  We tried some French courses, but the real stunner was the creme brûlée.  I don't even like creme brûlée, but I have never tasted anything as fantastic as this little dish was.  This meal did something to Wes and he was on a quest to eat any and all French food.  He loved eating in France.
 After dinner we had tickets for a boat ride down the Seine.  The sun had already set and we just strolled along the river hand in hand.  There is something so magical about Paris.  Definitely one of the most romantic places I have been.  That night walking together was so special for us.  We laughed and talked the whole way surrounded by so much beauty.  
Our boat ride was something I have always wanted to do.  It was really incredible and gave us our first up close glimpse of the eiffel tower.  
 That day left us excited for so much more.  In the morning we found a boulangerie and had the most sensational chocolate croissants for breakfast. I don't think America will ever get that one right.
 Afterwards we headed to the Musee de l'Orangerie.  We didn't want to spend much of our time in museums, we wanted to be out in the city.  We are saving that for another trip.  However, e did go to this small museum to see Monet's water lilies.  We couldn't leave Paris without seeing some art. So amazing, a whole room surrounded by these big beautiful paintings.  No pictures are allowed, but I don't think I'll forget how it made me feel.
 We did get to enjoy some other wonderful art.  But, really we are probably very annoying because it turned into a game where Wes posed as the paintings.
 We couldn't forget his love of Notre Dame.
 And getting a closer look at Picasso.
 After our morning art we spent some time walking the streets and beautiful bridges.
 He even made sure he tracked down some Laduree macarons for me.  This darling shop was picture perfect and full of treats.  Macaroons aren't the tastiest little things, but they sure are pretty. 
We found the love bridge and of course couldn't leave paris without leaving our own little lock.
We hopped on the metro to the Arc de Triomphe.  This was a bustling part of the city with some amazing stores.  Everything is just so much more fantastic and stylish in Paris, right?
 We stopped for some crepes and true french fries for lunch.  Oh my goodness, you haven't had a crepe until you have had one in France.  There was one woman cooking them up in the center of the restaurant.  Of course the sweet ones are my favorite, the savory don't really do it for me.
 We spent an afternoon sitting in the grounds around the eiffel tower.
 We found the ice cream shop that Rick Steves recommends when in Paris and I think it may have been better than gelato in Italy.  With a line out the door we knew it had to be good and we were in ice cream heaven.
  We took a quick stop just to see the louvre.
 We had a wonderful dinner which was preceded by these delightful little croque monsieur sandwiches sold at almost every little outdoor eatery along with some more crepes. 
 We then decided to spend the rest of the night hanging out by the eiffel tower as the sun was setting.
 And then it glitters for a few minutes each hour.  It is stunning and lovely and we sat in that park together most of the night.  
  And we really loved taking pictures of it.
 The next morning we got on a flight home.  We didn't get enough.  This was probably my favorite city and one we both really want to come back to.  Everything here was so magical for me.  Sometimes Wes and I talk about how much we miss Europe.  It was such a special trip for us.  It was truly life changing!  We are so very grateful for babysitters who made it possible for us to be gone so long without worrying.  Take me back!

3 comments:

Emily said...

All your posts have made me want to take a trip to Europe! This trip and this city look and sound like they were amazing. I'm totally going to use your blog as a travel guide if we ever plan a trip to Europe. It sounds like you guys planned it all out so well and just had the best time! I'm so glad you got to take such a wonderful trip together! Also, can I please have your hair?! Gorgeous!

Michele Ashman Bell said...

This seemed completely perfect in every way. Rick Steve's would be proud of you two! I loved seeing you both there and cannot believe how beautiful and magical Paris is. Please go again! The joy in your faces is priceless!!!

Megan said...

AMAZING. All the pictures remind me of something out of a book or movie... but no, you were there in real life! And I always have thought that food is the best part of any vacation, and I think I would be in absolute heaven trying all the delicious goodness you talked about. Take me to Paris, please!