Thursday, January 2, 2014

rome, italy

After our cruise we took a train to Rome.  I was not prepared for the hustle and bustle as we walked out of the metro station.  The city is enormous, overflowing with people and cars.  Luckily, I was traveling with a man who had mapped everything out.  I actually have the worst sense of direction and would have been completely lost without him.  Our hotel was a short walk from the metro station, so we rolled our luggage along the streets.  I couldn't speak the whole time.  I was in complete awe of all the sights and sounds.  I had never seen so many intersecting cobblestone roads, and each one lined with more and more beautiful buildings.  And I will admit I was a bit afraid, because Wes and I were not blending in carrying our suitcases around.  
We unloaded our luggage and went exploring.  Our first stop was San Giovanni.  It was my first introduction to cathedrals.  It was a complete contrast from what I know to be sacred places in my own religion where everything is so simple.  These cathedrals are definitely not that.  
On our way to the metro we stopped for some Italian pasta.  Truly fantastic.  Eating in Europe is such a heavenly experience.  Wes, who actually really hates to eat was loving it, and it was so good to see him chowing down.
We took the metro to the Colosseum.  Just mind-blowing my friends.  We had way too much fun walking in and out and up and down.  We, of course, are too cheap for audio tours and I laugh way too much listening to Wes try to explain what everything is.
After the Colosseum we walked around the forum.  It is unbelievable to be walking down the same roads that existed in ancient cities.
We were loving all the fountains they have throughout the city for drinking.
For dinner we found a little restaurant where I ate the best gnocchi in four cheese sauce I have ever had.  We couldn't get enough of each other.  We loved trying new things together with no interruptions.  And Wes declared, "This is probably the happiest I have ever been before or after cancer."  Kind of made everything worth it.
 We hopped on the metro to catch Trevi fountain as the sun was setting.  I was amazed at Wes's skills.  We were not lost once, he knew exactly where to go and which train to take.  Trevi fountain is buried among little streets and lots of buildings.  As you are walking down the street you can hear the water running.  Suddenly you turn the corner and there it is.  It is quite a sight to behold and completely jumps up on you.



 It was romantic and lovely to sit near the fountain as the sun was setting and the lights came on the fountain.  On our way back we picked up some gelato and walked back to our hotel.  Was there ever a more perfect date night?
 The next morning we were up early ready to head into the Vatican.  So glad our friends had tipped us off and told us to buy tickets online, because the line to buy tickets was outrageous!  Once again we wandered around looking at really beautiful things and completely unsure of what we were looking at.  Wes is hands down the best tour guide.
Oh hey, this looked familiar though.  Thank you Rick Steves.
The museum was completely overwhelming and we were really only there for the sistine chapel anyway.  So we made our way down to the chapel and I was unprepared for what I saw.  No pictures or talking are allowed in the Sistine Chapel.  I couldn't help but walk in and gasp.  The ceiling and walls are unbelievable.  The most beautiful piece was Michelangelo's frescoes on the ceiling, one of the most famous being the creation of Adam where he is touching fingers with God.
It took my breath away.  Wes and I found seats against the wall and just couldn't believe all the beauty around us.  
 We walked over to St. Peter's Basilica and spent the morning looking around.  We saw the Pieta, so incredible.  We even saw a wedding.  
Of course, the trip ended with more gelato as we headed back on the metro.  
We grabbed lunch from a tiny pizza place and took it to the Spanish steps.  I don't know why I loved the steps so much, but I did.  We found out later we weren't supposed to eat on the steps, but that was after we had finished our pizza.
 Our next stop was the Holy steps or Scala Sancta.  I was really looking forward to this part of the trip.  Inside this chapel are what is thought to be the steps from Pilate's home that Jesus Christ would have walked up before he was condemned.  To preserve the steps they have encased them with wood.  You can see the marble from the true steps inside the little slats.  No one is allowed to walk up these steps.  You must kneel the whole way up.  It was really painful and we couldn't help think of all our Savior had to endure as we climbed.  It was an amazing feeling to think maybe we had knelt where Jesus had walked.
 We had some afternoon gelato in the rain and I just kept thinking "is this real life?"  So perfect.  I think my favorites were lemon and salted caramel.
Afterwards we headed over for a peek at the Pantheon and had dinner at a sweet little restaurant.  
The next morning we flew to Paris.  Rome was so many things for me.  Ancient, confusing, busy, and beautiful.  It left me speechless on countless occasions.  The food was just lovely and the company was even better.  Of course, we couldn't forget how different our life has been since cancer, but I think it made us appreciate and cherish this time together even more.  Everything was so much more meaningful.  It definitely wast easy for Wes to travel like this but I think this picture sums it up nicely. There he is laughing about having to go back to our hotel to go to the bathroom and being so excited to find a bidet in our room.  It doesn't matter where I am, this husband of mine is home to me. 

1 comment:

Christy said...

what an amazing vacation! i can only imagine how wonderful/inspiring it would be to see all these places with your own two eyes! i'm glad you guys got to take this trip and hope to follow in your footsteps one day!