Wednesday, March 9, 2011

my little sickie

I knew this winter was too good to be true. We were getting by with no major illnesses until Saturday night. Miss Halle who was her normal happy energetic self all day went to bed and woke up at 12:30 and couldn't sleep. She tossed and turned until I heard her tell me "my ear needs a bandaid." And so began our up all night slumber party. I was pretty sure it was an ear infection and knew she wouldn't be able to sleep so we watched movies. Our old "Halle's sick and can't sleep" method that worked last year. She only whines about the pain when she is trying to sleep so it is better to let her stay up until she crashes. I must say that watching Despicable Me in the middle of the night is much more enjoyable then watching Finding Nemo in the wee hours.
She finally crashed at 6:30 for a few hours and we were ready to take her to urgent care as soon as she woke up to get her checked out and get some antibiotics. She woke up and said her ear was fine. She was completely normal all day until about 5 when she said her ear was owie again, so we took her over to urgent care along with every other sick person in Utah county. She played so well and never complained once while all the toddlers around her were screaming about their ears hurting. We finally saw a doctor and were told she had an infection in each ear. How on earth was this child so happy and energetic? We would never have known if she hadn't been able to speak. Best sick kid ever. There was hardly any indication that she could get an ear infection. She had had a runny nose a few weeks ago and that was it. Apparently it was enough to infect her ears. The doctor also suspected she had pink eye so we left eye drops and a diagnosis. Now finding a pharmacy open on a Sunday night is pretty tricky in Utah. Wes was gone most of the night waiting at the only Walgreens that was open along with every other sick person in Utah County to get her antibiotics.
Needless to say we were glad that day was over. And now I have a very happy little sickie who keeps telling me she is not sick because she wants to go to the dinosaur museum and mcdonald's play place and that she doesn't need tylenol, but rather chocolate.

2 comments:

Megan said...

I have to hand it to her... I'd take chocolate over Tylenol to cure any sickness too!
Glad that she's feeling better and that you survived a few trips to urgent care!

ok said...

Poor thing! Such a trooper... I'm a grown-up and I take "sick days" when I just have the sniffles!

PS - Most Rite-Aids are 24-hour and they usually do a dang good job. :)