Tuesday, July 14, 2009

A Tale of Two Rings

One is made of diamonds and white gold. One is made of cheap hemp and cheap bronze beads. Both mean oodles to me despite their differing monetary values. The diamond ring is obviously my wedding ring, slipped on my finger on a beautiful August evening (both of our hands were shaking) and then again later in the St. George temple on our wedding day. The other was given to me almost two years before that on my first date with the future hubby.
I was a silly BYU freshman and he was a recently returned missionary fresh from Brazil (he had the irritable bowels to prove it, I think he used the john about 24 times that night, I even claimed I had to go a couple times when he was going, so he wouldn't feel awkward.) He took me to a Thai restaurant which was a strange coincidence because at that time I was so set on traveling to Thailand (definitely earned him some points). It was my first experience with Thai food and I loved it. Sad to say, that was probably the highlight of the date, besides the conversation of course. From there things never really took off activity wise. Every place we went after that was too busy. Two bowling alleys had two hour waits, and the mini golf place was so backed up they weren't letting anyone on the course. It gave us plenty of time to get to know each other, so at least we had that. After we were turned down at the mini golf place it was too late to try anything else, so we figured we would spend what time we had left playing the arcade games there.
I don't remember much except that we played air hockey at one point. We took the tickets we had earned to see what prize we could get with them. He wanted to get something for me. We had just enough (probably six) to get a ring made out of hemp and beads. I put it on and he drove me home. We said good night and it seemed like just another first date to me. That night as I was getting ready for bed I took the ring off and was about to throw it out, but for some reason I decided to keep it. Several times throughout the time that we were dating I came across that ring, and each time I was thinking of trashing it, but for some reason I kept it. I came across this ring again a few weeks ago and I now know I will never trash this baby.
I still can't believe what came about from a semi-blind date/nice but not amazing first date.
The movies are so wrong sometimes.

2 comments:

Ashlyn said...

That picture is so cool! I would have never thought to do that. Your so clever!

Annie. said...

I love this! How cute that you still have the ring. That's so neat.