Tuesday, October 27, 2009

pumpkin art

This year I decided not to deal with the massive amounts of pumpkin guts and seeds and scooping and clean up that come along with the pumpkin carving tradition. Plus, the pumpkins will last much longer and won't shrivel up and turn into a nasty nest for bugs if they haven't been sliced open. And since they are the only Halloween decorations I have outside, I really need them to stick around for awhile.
I bought some colorful permanent markers and a pumpkin for each member of the family and decided that we would each turn our pumpkins into art. It was a little risky giving a one year old permanent markers, but we kept her close and she only got marker on the pumpkin, her hands, and the purple marker only took a journey into the dark recesses of her mouth once (success!). The result: a beautiful, scribbly, mini pumpkin piece of Halle art. She actually loved coloring it. I have never seen her sit and color for so long.
The rest of us have no excuse for scribbles, but that seemed to be the direction my pumpkin was headed. I have never been very good in the art and symmetry departments. It came out as some kind of a mix between Miss Piggy and I'm not really sure. Wes, on the other hand was made for this type of thing. I bet you can see why Halle absolutely adored his pumpkin creation.
I liked the aftermath of this pumpkin art much better then the traditional pumpkin carving: no nasty clean up or pumpkin smell. This last picture was supposed to be a picture of me and Wes with our pumpkins, but Halle was pretty excited about the self timer on the camera and that mom and dad were laying on the floor. The result: one of the best pictures of Halle.

3 comments:

Ashley said...

What a great idea! I love them!

Lauren and Josh said...

So cute! What a great idea, Megan! It's those El Ed skills coming out :)

Sharla said...

I actually did the exact same Mickey Mouse pumpkin but I carved it. Great minds think alike. That's awesome.