Friday, January 1, 2010

attempting to achieve

I don't like the word resolution.
Resolution is sometimes defined as: finding a solution to a problem
I do like the word goal.
Goal is sometimes defined as: a result that one is attempting to achieve
So this year I am not making New Year's resolutions. I don't like to think of the things I want to accomplish this year as problems that need to be fixed. Instead, I am going to make New Year goals, things that I am attempting to achieve this year.
They look a little something like this:
  • Attend the temple at least once a month. Just try and stop me satan.
  • Eat better. Goodbye potato chips, fried foods, and sweets. It has been a lovely two years, but I really need to get back to the way I ate before I had a baby. It's not you, it's me.
  • Read some classics. I have chosen a few I want to be sure I get to: Jane Eyre, The Picture of Dorian Gray, Anna Korenina, Sense and Sensibility, and To Kill a Mockingbird.
  • Plan a trip for the family this summer before Wes starts his career.
  • Learn to bake something. I will figure out the whole altitude and flour thing.
  • Serve my family, neighbors, and nursery babes much more and much more graciously.
  • Do pilates. My new solution to my exercising with a toddler dilemma. Pilates can be done from the comfort of my home during nap time.
  • Teach Halle to share. Heaven help us.
  • Be lovely.
I am going to make 2010 a fantastic year.
p.s. I must share one of Wes's goals that cracked me up: prey on the weak minded. Everything is somehow turned into a joke with this guy. I love it.

4 comments:

Emily said...

I love your goals! I know you will do wonders with them all! :)

Megan said...

I think you've already gotten the last goal down. :)

Christy said...

great goals! yah, just try and stop her satan. :) i love it. i highly reccommend jane eyre and to kill a mockingbird. two of my all time favorites!

and wes' goal KILLED tom and me.

The Winkels said...

You ARE lovely! How about we make it a goal to actually hang out in 2010? :)