Thursday, January 7, 2010

le dessert

My first baking endeavor of 2010 was a success. I chose something simple, because let's face it, if I can't even get a cake from a box to turn out, there is no way I am going to be baking bread or gourmet dishes anytime soon. I found a recipe for blonde brownies in a ward cookbook my Aunt Tina gave me as a wedding present. They aren't the most glamorous or pretty dessert, and they definitely don't deserve the french title of this post, but they are not too sweet little nuggets of joy. Aren't ward cookbooks the best? Real women with tight schedules making delicious food for real people (sometimes with some pretty unsophisticated palettes) and sharing their best dishes with other women. I love it. This dessert is a little bit like cookies in a pan, which solves my problem of shaping little cookies that burn anyway. These little babies even passed the Wes test, which is saying a lot. Sound yummy? You're in luck! Here is the recipe submitted by Darla Green. Enjoy.


Blonde Brownies
2/3 cube butter (not margarine)
2 c. brown sugar
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
2 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla
2 c. flour
1 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/3 c. chopped nuts (optional) --please people, never put nuts in your desserts. It makes me want to hurl.

Preheat oven 350 degrees. Melt the butter in a sauce pan. Stir in brown sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Place mixture in a bowl and blend in eggs and vanilla. Stir in flour, just until lumps disappear. Spread in 9 by 13" pan. Sprinkle with chocolate chips and nuts, if desired. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes (I had to take mine out at about 22 minutes because they were very done, so just watch it towards the end.) Cool in pan and cut into bars.

1 comment:

Emily said...

Yummmmm! I'm glad you were successful! I'm going to have to try this recipe - sounds good! :)