Sunday, May 9, 2010

to women everywhere

"To help another human being reach one's celestial potential is part of the divine mission of women. As mother, teacher, or nurturing saint, she molds living clay to the shape of her hopes. In partnership with God, her divine mission is to help spirits live and souls be lifted. This is the measure of her creation. It is ennobling, edifying and exalting." -Russell M. Nelson

I believe that motherhood is a term that extends beyond merely giving birth.

To me, any and all women fall under the term: mother. How is that possible? Whether she be old, young, married, single, has children of her own, or does not, each woman has a responsibility and is a steward over the young spirits she may come in contact with. These young spirits could be her own children, nieces and nephews, students, ward members, or neighbors. This is the divine mission of women. All women can fulfill the measure of their creation by helping spirits live and souls to be lifted. It is the divine mission of mothers, the divine mission of all women no matter their circumstances.
On this mother's day, I of course celebrate my own angel mother and saintly mother-in-
law, but I also wish to celebrate all women everywhere who are watching over little ones. The women helping other human beings to reach their celestial potential no matter what term you are known by: mother,grandmother, neighbor, teacher, aunt, friend, cousin, primary teacher, etc.
Happy Mother's Day to you all.

4 comments:

Emily said...

I love how you put this Megan. Thank you. Mother's day is sometimes hard for me but I loved this. Thanks Megan!

Haley said...

I echo what Emily said! Thank you Megan! This is just what I needed to hear.

Megan said...

thanks so much for writing this, Megan. It's easy to focus on celebrating mothers who birthed and raised us(and important to do so), but it's equally as important to recognize the other women who have had just as important of a role in shaping us to be who we are. Even though I don't have children yet, it's pretty awesome to think that I can have that kind of influence on the little spirits around me.... so thanks for helping me to remember that vital role I have!

Brianne said...

Ok, what kind of camera do you have? I love your pictures!