Thursday, July 5, 2012

to the coolest kid around...


I think you're the greatest girl a mom could ever ask for.
My constant helper and best friend.
You are by my side each day telling me about the things you see and helping me to see the world through your eyes.  
You finish the lyrics of the songs I sing and still read books in bed with me.
Your imagination is out of this world.  It takes you anywhere you want to go.  I hope that ability is something you never lose.
You are an artist.  You love to paint and have a fettish for all things blue.  In fact, you really wish we could dye your hair blue.  You honestly just woke up a few minutes ago crying and when I went in to see what was wrong, half asleep you told me, "I want to paint."  And then you fell back asleep.
You are a loving big sister.  Your sister wants to do the things you do.  I am certain the reason she can say so many words is because she has you for an example.  You make sure we never leave miss lily behind.  You are her defender and teacher, as a big sister should be.
A little lipstick and a twirly skirt make you happy.
 You adore other children and want so much to make them laugh. 
You are incredibly obedient and love to please your mom.  We had a tough conversation about leaving your shoes in my car, one of your habits.  And now every once in awhile you call out from the back seat that you are being good because you are leaving your shoes on.
You have a sweet tooth, adore chocolate, and still make faces at anything tart or citrus.
Hardly a day goes by without you complimenting my outfit or the way I clean a room.  
You are a thinker.  I could tell even today you are thinking about all that is happening in your life as you timidly asked me if sick people can go to the dinosaur museum and then later you proudly proclaimed to the story time teacher "when my dad feels better, we're going to disneyland."  And now when we sing, "be brave little one" as we comb the knots out of your hair I think about all the other ways you have had to be brave.
These last few months have been emotional for everyone, but especially you.  I sometimes feel I am too hard on you and often forget you are only four.  I expect so much because you are so mature.  I pray to be better, but know I fall short.  I hope you can see it is all out of love. 
This year you asked for "my own keys to the real car" and a trampoline.  You won't be getting either of those things, but we hope you feel how special you are to us anyway.
 Happy fourth birthday to our little kikster.  
You are beautiful inside and out.

Annnd stop growing.  Thanks.

3 comments:

TravelMama said...

What a wonderful post with such beautiful pictures. Funny about the paint!

Michele Ashman Bell said...

Happy birthday to Halle! I can't imagine our family without you! You light up our world and make us laugh. Have a magical day!

Megan said...

what a beautiful post to a beautiful little girl! she sounds like quite the character, and quite the sweetheart. she's lucky to have a wonderful mother like you to teach her and encourage her in all she does!