Friday, November 13, 2009

a cure for awkward

Last night we found ourselves at an old friend turned awkward friend's wedding reception. We had a case of the awkwards. We chatted awkwardly with family members, stood awkwardly in line, gave awkward hugs, made awkward conversation, and awkwardly promised to get together soon. We were feeling pretty weird about everything as we talked with friends and watched the couple cut the cake. And then I looked over to my left.

And I saw my daughter poke the groom's little baby niece in the eye.

And I laughed (inside of course, on the outside I was hoping to look appalled).

And later that night I really thought about what she had done at the reception. She had been having the time of her life that night running around with all the little kids and poking a little girl's eye. She was not holding back because of perceived awkwardness or anything like it. And I remembered something I always knew, but had forgotten.

Things are as awkward as you make them.

There was my daughter uninhibited by any social norms enjoying her little life to the fullest. And I caught a small glimpse of what it means to be "like a little child." These precious little souls don't put up any walls, they're not fake, they love unconditionally, and I don't think they have the ability to be awkward at all. They make friends in a matter of seconds. They live every day like it is their last, which I think is why a lot of them fight sleep at night.

It is hard, but I want to live more "like a little child." (Don't worry, I won't go around poking people's eyes out and I will teach Halle that it is not acceptable in the Bell house. And in Halle's defense she was simply telling that baby where her eye is. She's smart like that.)

3 comments:

Christy said...

so true! i love that kids are never awkward. if only we all were like that, because those awkward moments are the WORST. especially when you feel like it shouldn't be that way.

Megan said...

So very true. I hate awkward moments... and sometimes I feel like a little kid and like the awkwardness isn't there until I see that the people on the other end do have the awkward smile and look in their eyes and then I feel awkward... Social norms are so over-rated.... :)

Emily said...

It's true. Little children are amazing like that. They have no idea of social norms and thus (like you said) love and live unconditionally and fully. It's amazing and inspiring! : Thanks for the reminder to live like little children! :)