Thursday, November 5, 2009

up and down

That is how I would describe most of my nights with this little squirt.
I am up helping her fall asleep in her crib or rocking her and then down again trying to catch a few more hours of sleep before the next time she wakes up. These "up" episodes can last anywhere from ten minutes to three hours. Let her cry you say? I can't. Really, I am not wired for it. I can't handle that. Waking up a couple of times a night I can handle.
Besides, I don't think I would be sleeping very well if most of my teeth were coming in at the same time. That's right. She has two teeth on the bottom and that is it. Sixteen months old and only two teeth. Not only does it make eating next to impossible, but her sleep takes a hit too. I can see four teeth on top trying to push through her red swollen gums, but so far nothing.
She has always been a restless, light sleeper even as a newborn. It has never been something she enjoys. I can still see myself walking up and down the small hallway in our Wymount apartment trying to rock her to sleep and looking down at her trying to fight it off.
I am not complaining. Some nights I love the up and down. Many nights I love to hear her call for "mama" and I love holding her until she drifts off to sleep again. She is getting so big and soon there will be no more moments like that. And then some days, I'm not going to lie, Bon Jovi said it best, we are "livin' on a prayer."

2 comments:

Christy said...

it's interesting how kids are so different. sophie was a GREAT sleeper-- slept through the night from about four months on. i used to think it was something we did. now, with lincoln, i realize NOPE, they just come with their own little personalities and habits. he gets up a lot, and it definitely wears on you! i'm impressed that you've been able to put up with it for 16 months. that's a long time to be getting up in the middle of the night! the good thing is, as my mom has reminded me, they all learn to sleep through the night at some point. kids seem to have no problem in high school. :) good luck!

Erin said...

Maddie was a really good sleeper until the last few months--now she does the same thing as Halle. It's 3 or 4 times a night. You're right though--hearing "mama" is quite rewarding. :) I'll be thinking of you while i'm up tonight with her. :)