Sunday, July 18, 2010

kauai: day five

The next morning Wes and I played tourist again and decided to do a zipline tour in the backcountry. This was one of the highlights of our trip. Although this is a bit pricey it is worth it the first time. I just wouldn't pay that same price to go every year (thanks dad for making it happen!). After you are weighed and harnessed up they put you in a large all terrain bus-like vehicle and drive you up a mountain on some private property. Once you reach the top, they prep you on safety and make sure you are hooked up right and then take you down the mountain. This zipline tour that we did had seven different lines that zigzag down a mountain. The longest line was 940 ft. It makes you a little nervous to think you are flying over a mountain with nothing but a harness on a line holding you in, but after the first run you aren't thinking about anything except how beautiful it is, how fun it is, and how awesome it is to fly over the tops of the trees. Wes, who is afraid of heights and only went because I wanted to go even loved it. The lines finished at a swimming hole where we had lunch and could swim if we wanted to. The trip was delightful and something I have always wanted to do. I didn't dare zip with my canon and my point and shoot is out of commission, so our only picture is taken at the top of the mountain we were about to head down.
After the zipline the family picked us up to check out Wailua waterfall and one other waterfall. I thought these waterfalls were beautiful and then Wes showed me a picture of the Igazu Falls in Brazil and I decided I need to go there and see those.
That afternoon the boys played golf while the girls entertained Halle until dinner. And there day five ends.

2 comments:

Stephanie • My Orange Chair said...

We should totally take a Brasil trip together some day! I would love to see those Falls as well.

Christy said...

i love wailua falls! we figured out how to hike down to the bottom of it to swim. way fun. the zipline sounds amazing!