Thursday, August 13, 2009

angels

I believe that angels are wonderful people who were close to us and have passed on. They look out for us from the other side and send good vibes our way when things seem to be falling apart around us. They rejoice in our happiness and help to carry our burdens in times of stress and trial.
I have learned there is another type of angel. They are those people still around us, the ones we can see with our eyes instead of those we can only feel with our hearts. They provide the same comfort and protection as the first type of angel.
My mother is one such angel.
Who else would come and stay with me while my husband is out of town? (because let's face it: I am scared of being alone in the dark and thank goodness I did not have to be in any basements because those things scare me silly.)
Who else would make countless trips to the store for food, diapers, packing tape, packing supplies, treats, etc?
Who else would listen for my baby at night so I could get some uninterrupted sleep?
Who else would feed my baby all her meals, change all her diapers, and play with her endlessly simply because she loves that little girl?
Who else would teach my baby to hold hands in the parking lots?
Who else would cry with me when another little girl pushed my baby down and made her cry and cry?
Who else would drive home to make sure the other people in her family were doing okay and then drive five more hours to come back and help me the next day?
Who else would pack up all our belongings to get us ready to move on time?
Who else would help unpack our belongings?
Who else would return to our apartment after unpacking and scrub our apartment top to bottom by herself so we would not be charged for leaving it a mess?
Who else would help me decorate my new house with stuff from anthropologie because she knew it is the stuff I wanted for my dream home?
Who else would take me to the grocery store and fill our house full of food?
Who else would keep me laughing even when I am tired?
Who else would make sure everyone is healthy and happy before taking care of their needs?
No one, but an angel.
Thank you mommy. I can't say it enough.

2 comments:

Emily said...

Mom's are the best! :) Congrats again on your new house! That's so exciting!

Megan said...

Aw sooo sweet. :) Mommy's really are the best. And yes, I still call my mom "Mommy"... even if I'm in my 20s. :) I'm glad to see I'm not the only one!