Saturday, March 13, 2010

mom's salsa

When I went off to college I really missed my mom's cooking. The Cannon Center cafeteria never really did it for me, so gaining the freshman 15 was never a problem for me. Of all the delicious foods my mom made I really missed her fresh salsa. It has always been our favorite and whenever it is served it is practically gone in minutes.
When she would travel the 4 hours to visit me in Provo, she would always pack a big container of her salsa on ice so I could have a little piece of home. Some of my fondest memories from that first summer term at college were sitting on the floor of my dorm by our mini refrigerator late at night eating that salsa with tortilla chips and laughing with friends. It is the best tasting salsa I have ever had. And boy have I ever eaten a lot of different kinds of salsa because chips and salsa happen to be my ultimate comfort food.
I finally learned how to make this salsa on my own. My mom is the type of cook who makes some fantastic meals that she won't even consult a recipe for. This salsa is one such masterpiece that you just kind of feel how much to put in. I thought I would share the food love by sharing her recipe. If you prefer chunky salsa this may not be the recipe for you because all ingredients run through a food processor making it more of a thick liquid. These measurements are just guidelines, so don't try to be too exact with this one.

Mama's Salsa
1 clove of minced garlic
1 tbsp sliced jalapenos (buy the kind already sliced in a jar, make your life easy)
1/8-1/4 cup roughly chopped white onion
1/4-1/2 cup cilantro (no stems)
5 roma tomatoes
squeeze or two of lemon
salt to taste

Combine garlic, jalapeno, onion, and cilantro in food processor. Blend until large chunks are gone. Slice the tops of the tomatoes off and then slice tomato in half. Add tomato slices to food processor and blend until large chunks are gone. Squeeze in lemon and add salt. Blend once more and serve with tortilla chips. It may look a little frothy right after blending. If you let it sit for a few minutes it will settle and have more texture.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Emily said...

oooooh! Thanks for sharing! I'll have to try this! Sounds so yummy!

And also, the word verification I had to use for this was: uncooked. Appropriate huh? :)