Thursday, November 29, 2012

chemotherapy in pictures

There is a book I love called "Lincoln: A Photobiography" by Russell Freedman.  There is a certain page that fascinates me.  It shows portraits of Abraham Lincoln that were taken over the course of the Civil War.  The toll that leading the country during those years took on him physically is shocking to see when they are all put together.  He looks noticeably older and tired.  
I decided to put together my own photo collage of Wes over the six months that chemotherapy waged it's very own war on his body.  I don't know what happened after treatment six, but to me he looks dramatically different. I feel like he kind of shrinks as the treatments continued and eating became harder and harder.  He can't wear his wedding ring anymore because it just falls off.  His hair became thinner and thinner, but there is that radiant smile right up to the end.  


2 comments:

Michele Ashman Bell said...

I was hoping you would do this. The toll chemo took on Wes's body was huge, but it never broke his spirit. He was an incredible example of facing challenges head on. Just one more bump in the road and then he can put this behind him (tee-hee) and have his life back, cancer free. I know the road ahead is going to be difficult, but no one could handle it better than Wes!

Megan said...

That smile doesn't change at all, even if his body does. That is pretty incredible.