Thursday, November 8, 2012

kindred cancer spirits

I had a neighbor growing up who is my age.  I remember being so shocked when I learned her daughter (who is just a bit younger than Halle) was diagnosed with leukemia.  You of course never know what to say when these things happen because you never really know how the other person feels.  Little did I know, that a short time later my own husband would be diagnosed with colon cancer.  Two people in their mid twenties on the same street, right next door to each other watching young loved ones battle cancer and becoming cancer caregivers within years of each other.  
So, when the request was sent out to join a curesearch team for their daughter Taleah and walk for childhood cancer, I just knew me and my girls would have to do it.  Wes was a big maybe as he had just had a round of chemo, but felt well enough the day of to try and do it.  I am so glad he made that decision, because what we saw that day in big beautiful sugarhouse park was astounding.  Crowds and crowds of people all somehow affected by childhood cancer.  They wore matching t-shirts and bandanas.  There were pictures of children who were survirvors, who were still fighting, and some who had passed on too soon lining the paths.  There were all kinds of characters from movies, mascots from sports teams, princesses, our very own Miss Utah USA, games, and treats to make those special children smile.  
It was a most magnificent and sobering sight to see families and friends walking together for cancer.  It made me, and most importantly Wes, realize we are not alone.  There are so many kindred cancer spirits out there.  It was incredible to see how many, young and old, are affected by this disease. 
 Kendyl found these shirts for the girls and I love them, I love them, I love them.  It says, "brave men run in my family."  One day they will realize and know how very true that is.  
We didn't get to do the whole walk because we had to race to Halle's soccer game.  But I loved uniting with so many for just a moment and feeling their strength.  I am so glad we found Taleah among the crowd.  Halle was looking everywhere.  Halle had only met her once before, but she thinks they are great friends and tells me that "taleah and daddy will beat cancer."  We love you Stevenson family!
Later that day we went to the Huntsman cancer expo because Miss Utah USA was speaking about cancer in her family.  She was eloquent and gave a wonderful presentation about her relatives and Wes.  Such sweet words.  They had a 20 foot giant colon that you could walk through that the girls loved.  Gosh we really kind of hate colons.  
 It was a Saturday full of cancer and it made me realize just how much I want to reach out to others.  I want everyone facing their own cancer demons to felt what we felt that day.  That you are not alone.  I want so much to take them all, hold their hand in mine, look into their eyes and simply say, "I know."  And then I want to hug them tight and introduce them to my husband who can say "I know" even better than me.  Wes is sure that in heaven there will be a special cancer neighborhood.  All the cancer people I know are so willing to help others affected by cancer.  There is a special bond immediately forged among them.  Wes feels the same way.  We both would love to email, facebook, text, or phone anyone you may know that has cancer and is wondering what now? or am I the only one?  Feel free to send them our way!  It is a tough battle to fight alone.

2 comments:

TravelMama said...

My dear brother has been in the special cancer neighborhood in heaven for 5 years next saturday. Sure do miss him! Thanks for your caring hearts!!

Megan said...

You are very special people. That about sums up me feelings of this post. There just aren't words for the giant colon, either. ;)